Thursday, June 3, 2010

Allergy Testing

I took Connor to get some allergy testing done since he had not had it done in almost 4 years. It was an interesting appointment and I feel closer to being able to help him with some recent health problems he has been experiencing. Some of these items are new and some were things that showed up when he was tested years ago. The list is a bit overwhelming right but as I reminded Connor, and need to remind myself we need to focus on what he can eat. My mission to making real food that tastes great will become even more of a focus. He can not have wheat, barley, corn, rye, dairy, pork, grapes, oranges, chocolate, msg, eggs, food dyes or preservatives. Even though he has not been eating most of these things it was still a lot for him to hear and that he should not have them at all.
My plan is to hit some stores today to find some food he CAN eat and to try to keep things as normal as possible. It will be an adjustment for us at first but we will find a new normal and figure out special occasions, school parties, going to friends homes, etc as we go along.
The foods he can eat that we will be focusing meals and snacks around are all vegetables, all meats except pork and deli or smoked meats, all fruits except oranges and grapes, all nuts and seeds, legumes, rice, quinoa and gluten free pasta. I will bake with almond,oat, rice and buckwheat flour mostly.
If you have any experience with children's allergies/sensitivities I would love to hear from you. What works for you, do you have any favourite brands, recipes.

No comments: