Monday, July 5, 2010

Vegetable Kids and Amy Pancakes







We are back from a great camping trip and weekend trip to visit family. We got our organic vegetable delivery just before we left to go camping. The kids were having a great time unpacking the vegetables for me. It saves me so much time having vegetables delivered to my house every Wednesday morning. The vegetables are so fresh and so much variety in the bags. We got some new items this week and some of the same. Our favourites were snow peas, tomatoes, carrots, brocolli and cucumbers. We got mint and it was so fresh and the flavour was great, the kids were pretending it was gum when we were camping. It got left out on the table the one night and unfortunately the raccoon enjoyed it as much as we did. We are hoping for some more mint in the delivery this week!
We have discovered the best tasting gluten free pancakes, they are so good. They are better then any pancake I have tried and you would never know they were gf! Connor's good friend has Celiac disease and she can not eat anything with gluten so she has shared some of her favourite foods. The pancake/waffle mix is made by kinnikinnick foods. I added blueberries and they were really good. The kids have named them Amy pancakes they like them so much.
Going gluten free has not been as hard as I imagined. Of course there are challenges and times when it is not easy but we are all adjusting to it. Connor and I are gf all of the time and Noel and Kelsey are gf at home. I am reading the G Free Diet by Elisabeth Hasselbeck right now and it has been helpful. Talking to others who eat gluten free is a great way to find out what brands they like. Not all gluten free food is good, some can be very dry or crumble and it can be frustrating when you have spent the money on it. I usually ask in a health food store what the best gluten free products are and they will tell you what they can't keep in stock because it sells out as soon as they get it. I am still on the search for a good gf tortilla wrap, I can't find one with the right taste and that will not fall apart. Another helpful thing I have found is to take any meal we enjoy and make it gluten free. The kids love pasta and we eat it once a week so I buy gluten free noodles. You can use gluten free bread crumbs in recipes and change any wheat flour to a gf flour blend. I find focusing the meal around a protein source, a vegetable and or salad, and a grain such as rice, quinoa or gf noodles makes meal planning easier.
Have a great week.



2 comments:

Helen said...

I have a TON of mint growing in my garden so any time you want some (or a lot) feel free to ask. I can even show you where it is and you can come and pick some. Alternatively, I can pull some for you and you can grow it in your own garden. It is almost impossible to kill (so plant it somewhere contained because it will spread) so it's an easy plant to keep.

Keri said...

We can trade mint for flour :) :) The kids loved the fresh mint. It was really good in the raspberry lemonade they had as well. Thanks :)