Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oatmeal

When I first started reading health food blogs I noticed everyone ate oatmeal and I didn't really love oatmeal but decided to try it again. I followed the recipe from Kath Eats Real Food, if you go to her Tribute To Oatmeal Link at the top of her website it has the recipe, a video, and many fun ways to decorate your oatmeal. It is the best oatmeal I have ever eaten, it is quick to make(5 minutes on the stove top), it is filling but not too heavy. This oatmeal is her exact recipe on the top of the oatmeal page, it has oats, chia seeds, banana, water, sea salt, vanilla, and I used almond milk but you can use whatever milk you have(regular, rice, almond, soy, etc) If you are gluten free you will need to buy oats at the health food store that are gluten free, oats that have not come in contact with any wheat making them. The topping ideas are endless, you could make a different kind of oatmeal everyday. You could do a topping bar for your kids with fun toppings like coconut, maple syrup, healthy muffins, chocolate chips, nut butters, different kinds of fruit, etc. You can make them themed for special days or holidays. Putting them in fun bowls makes everything taste better as well. This bowl of oats has a bit of pure maple syrup and fresh sliced organic cherries, yum! One of my favourite toppings is organic peanut butter and organic chocolate chips mixed in after cooking the oatmeal. A bowl of oatmeal makes a great start to your day. Let me know if you try it and what you put on your oatmeal. Enjoy :)

No comments: